MVD - Mitral Valve Disease

What is it?

 

This condition, is also known as endocardiosis, chronic degeneration valvular disease, chronic valvular fibrosis and acquired mitral and/or tricuspid regurgitation or insufficiency, is by far the most common heart disease of dogs, accounting for about 75% of all heart disease cases in dogs. The disease becomes increasingly prevalent as dogs get older, and affects predominantly the smaller breeds. In the past, it has mostly been reported in Miniature Poodles, Miniature Schnauzers, Chihuahuas, Dachshunds and small terriers. Unfortunately, the Cavalier has shown the disease at a much younger age, however, not all of these dogs will die or even become ill because of the disease.

 

What goes wrong?  

 

Over a period of time we see progressive deterioration of the heart valves. The most commonly affected is the mitral valve, on the left side, followed by the tricuspid valve (on the right) and the aortic valve (on the left). The normal flexible thin valve leaflets become gnarled, fibrous and thickened, and their restraining tendons also thicken and sometimes rupture. The result is an incompetent leaky valve which allows progressively more and more backflow. In it's most severe state, up to 80% of the output from the heart may be leaking back through the valve (termed regurgitation) leaving only 20%  moving forward. As a result, the heart chambers enlarge, the heart muscle works harder and eventually the muscle may fail. In some cases, the thin-walled atrial chambers may rupture, and in others the valve tendons give way, both having disastrous (ie fatal) consequences. 

 

What are the symptoms?

 

In the early stages, you (the owner) will not be aware that anything is wrong. However, your veterinarian will be able to hear a swishing, turbulent sound, called a murmur, which tends to get progressively louder as the valve leak worsens. In severe cases, the murmur may be felt as an odd "buzzing" sensation on the dog's chest wall, usually louder on the left side. In the later stages you begin to notice the dog tiring with exercise, breathing more rapidly, and sometimes coughing: a cough which is usually soft, but occasionally harsh and more evident at night or early morning, and possibly there may be collapsing or fainting. If the right side of the heart is affected more, you may notice a pot - bellied appearance as fluid accumulates. If one of the earlier - mentioned disasters occurs, your dog will be found dead, or collapsed in a desperate condition, coughing up pink or blood - tinged froth. However, this is uncommon: most cases progress slowly over a period of months to years.

 

Tips to manage heart murmurs in pets

 

Although heart murmurs are not curable, there are certain things that you can do to manage this condition in your pet:

  • Feed your pet high quality commercial food that is low in salt or all natural diet without preservatives, additives or colorants

  • Ensure that your pet gets moderate exercise such as regular walks or swimming to maintain health and fitness

  • Maintain a healthy weight in your pet – overweight and obese cats and dogs are more at risk of heart disease

  • Always provide fresh, clean water to prevent dehydration and flush out toxins

  • Make sure that your pet is treated for heartworm

  • Visit your vet regularly for routine check ups

  • Reduce stress and anxiety in your pet
 
 

Heart and Circulation Tonic - Homeopathic medicine for normal heart function and circulatory system health.

Uses: Temporarily relieves symptoms such as weakness, hot flushes and dizziness

 

  • Supports healthy circulation to all parts of the body

  • Helps maintain heart health

  • Supports healthy veins, arteries, and the heart

 

 

EaseSure-MHomeopathic medicine for nervous system calm in pets

Uses: Temporarily provides a quieting, sedative effect on the nervous system

 

  • Premier homeopathic medicine promotes nervous system calm

  • Reduces involuntarily muscle movements and twitching

  • Reduces nervous system hypersensitivity

  • Relieves symptoms of tiredness, weakness, trembling and sensitivity to noise

  • Promotes deep, restorative sleep free of bad dreams

  • Relieves listlessness and depressed mood

 

Call us for info:
308-763-1650 or 9433
Voice mail or text, please.
E-Mail Us:
bluerosecav@gmail.com
Persistance is good.